World Pneumonia Day: Why Is It Important To Know About It?
On November 12, we celebrate World Pneumonia Day. It is done to raise awareness about this disease that kills thousands of children every year. Let us read on to find out about pneumonia symptoms, treatment, and causes.
Pneumonia is typically an acute respiratory infection that is caused by bacteria or viruses. Known as the single biggest infectious killer of adults and children, it claimed the lives of approximately 2.5 million people in 2019.
Approximately 23 per cent of the pneumonia burden worldwide is attributed to India, and case fatality rates range from 14 to 30 per cent.
India accounts for 20% of these deaths and has a higher burden of childhood pneumonia than any other country, making it the number one cause of death in children worldwide.
Spreading Awareness about World Pneumonia Day
Let us first understand what exactly this infection is. Pneumonia is an illness that causes inflammation of the lungs. The majority of cases of this infection are due to bacterial Pneumonia. Infections like influenza or other pandemics can also affect the lungs, causing serious inflammation.
The causes of this disease:
The major cause of Pneumonia in India continues to be tuberculosis, particularly among low socioeconomic groups and those with impaired immune systems. On this World Pneumonia Day, let us spread awareness that alcohol consumption or smoking can also lead to this disease. Also, abuse of illicit substances or underlying chronic respiratory conditions like COPD can be responsible for Pneumonia.
Other factors responsible:
- Low intake of nutrition among children.
- Absence of proper ventilation at the workplace or home.
- A person suffering from HIV or another disease.
- Suffering from uncontrollable diabetes.
Pneumonitis Treatment and Its Symptoms
On this World Pneumonia Day, let us understand the symptoms of this infection and how you can identify it.
- In most patients with Pneumonia, fever, chills, and rigor are commonly observed.
- They may experience a cough with green or yellow-colored sputum.
- One may experience breathlessness.
- Few people may also experience occasional coughing out of blood, chest pain, or loss of appetite.
- Bloodstream infections are also possible in severe cases, leading to the need for advanced life support units.
Types of Pneumonia – Its Different Varieties
This is the most common type of infection caused by the flu but can also happen by bacteria. It can spread through fluid after someone coughs or sneezes. Symptoms of this kind of infection include shortness of breath, fever, dry cough, and possible pain in the chest. Symptomatic treatment is common for this type of Pneumonia, as well as an antiviral medication.
This kind of Pneumonia occurs in the lungs and is often due to a bacteria named Streptococcus. It usually happens to people who have crossed the age of 65 years or are suffering from heart or asthma disease. Like a viral infection, it includes symptoms such as yellow or green mucus chills or high fever. The most common way to treat this type of infection is through antibiotics.
Informally known as “Walking Pneumonia,” it’s a less severe form of Pneumonia that can often be misdiagnosed as a cold or flu. It usually has symptoms that include headaches, tiredness, or sore throat. One can use antibiotics for this type of infection.
You can try the following prevention tips for your safety:
- Since this disease spreads quickly through sneezing and coughing, wash your hands properly and multiple times.
- Take care of your health by eating healthy food and drinking lots of fluids.
- You should follow good sleeping and eating habits to keep your immune system balanced.
- Avoid smoking and drinking frequently.
- You should make sure that you get your pneumonia and flu shots.
Do not forget to go through our what are the causes and effects of stress on ED if you want to gain knowledge about this topic.